A World Like Never-Never Land

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Battle just started

I feel guilty about not officially beginning teaching...im kinda lost..I was promised that I'll have a support team available..different workshops to participate in..an assistant that is ALWAYS available..but none if it is actually happening..

Right now im just assessing my students...i dont trust whats written in their files..im doing it all over again except the parts that deal with their medical diagnosis..i believe those people who assess their academic/social levels are certainly not educated..ZERO education..they have no idea about what being objective means..what is a professional assessment..what kind of criteria they need to follow !! Thats why what I'm doing is going back to my "Observation and Assessment" course documents (thanks Chris) and trying to find out the exact strengths and weaknesses of each student. But its very complicated..im being very careful..coz i never wana underestimate their abilities..or to be unfair to them..its so hard coz now im dealing with real student..real assessments..involing parents, families, the school, my students and their future.

Anyways...my students:

Ahmed is getting more friendly..he started feeling more comfortable when dealing with me (less spitting) which is a good sign..and i finally decided to give him another chance..coz I've been ignoring him for the last couple of weeks..

Hamda is still my baby Hamda..but she's getting better..ofcourse her physical status makes it so hard for her to improve..but she deserves a chance just like any other student =)

Ghadeer my lovely little assistant..ill try out using flashcards to communicate better with her..and sound out the words..so that she could stop making up her own signs!! although i do understand her signs very well..but I want her to communicate with the world as well! Everyone should see how bright she really is...

"looking forward for another week"