A World Like Never-Never Land

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

......'Inclusion'

I was extremely dissapointed today. Not a single student interested in 'Inclusion' or even bothered to know more about 'inclusive practices'.

I saw Steve at the end of the corridor. "STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!", I screamed lol. At first, I ignored the two ladies who were accompanied by him. I really miss him being around. He was such a knowledgeable and trusted resource for me. He answered every question I had about Special Ed, and never really tried, even once, to convince me in anyway to get into Special Ed. He layed down the facts related to it. The positive, and negative ones.

We entered a large room full of chairs. Luckily, there were two ladies sitting. An instructor at the College of Ed., and someone who works there as well. All the chairs were empty. The 'inclusive' expert started with "I am happy to be here and share with students................" but Steve stopped her and mentioned the sad fact that there is only ONE student present. Me.

It was such an interesting presentation; or conversation as she called it. It was full of hope, dreams, and future plans. Inclusion IS going to happen someday, but I couldn't stop myself from seeing it a bit far.

Inclusion requires the whole community to be part of it, and to understand it. Understand what it really means and how would it affect students with disabilities themselves, in addition to the ones without disabilities. In order for inclusion to occur, we will need a Special Ed. teacher, teaching assistant, Speech Therapist, Consultant, in addition to the gen. ed. teacher. All working at the same school, same classroom. See why I see it far from happening?

Being a part of Special Education is a struggle, and have always been a struggle to me. Looking out for opportunities was the hardest part. I always think of questions like how long will I be doing volunteer work at special needs centers, or MAYBE working as a teaching assistant ?!

Persueing a career in the area of Special Needs in the UAE is emotionally draining. However, there has always been this thing in me that is very strongly connected to those with special needs. I have a strong feeling about commiting myself and my career life in order to provide them with the maximum involvement in our community to the fullest extent possible. I really hope that I have made the right decision, and that Allah will provide me with the strength and energy to continue in this path.