A World Like Never-Never Land

Monday, March 19, 2007

Survivor: Day 1

The plan was to keep a daily log of my internship...change of plans: I can barely breath after more than 8 hours in my new "circus" kindergarten class. K 1 YELLOW. Thats what they call it.
I was really excited for my first day. I put on nice clothes, and my high heels *the biggest mistake of my life*...and OFF I LEAVE!The teachers welcomed me with hugs and kisses which made me feel better...not the "outsider" kind of feeling...then we left the classroom to an informal staff meeting where upcoming events were discussed, meetings, visitors, trips...etc. I felt like an "outsider" at that time. It was weird to be the only local at a place in your own country, and the second one who actually covers up.
Swimming! It was a little difficult for me to dress up the children coz they were a bit resistant, since I was a new face. They also wanted to show me how grown-up they were by getting ready all alone. By the end, I was able to help out my 17 children.
Morning session! songs, calendar, letter of the week, sentence of the week...it was really cool.
Anyways... I haven't eaten a single thing on that day...not even water..maybe i was a bit overwhelmed...It was too tiring...I was physically DEAD by the end of the day..I can NOT imagine going through all that for the next ten weeks...My mentor teacher is such a sweetie! I know I'm gonna learn so much from her..and I'll never forget her...seems like too much for the first day..but trust me..it was TOO MUCH!
Funny stuff happened, like how excited they were about me being local...and how the kids hide under my abaya..and how they were shocked to know that I've got hair under my shaila lol They're adorable..up to this point.
By the end of this week, I really wana reflect on every single child. I wana see how my view will change by the end of the tenth week *watery eyes already*
Today was an interesting day too! I received one of the nicest comments.
"Noora, has anyone told you how sweet you are? You are very sweet."
It was really nice to hear it coming from someone who barely knew me. I was flattered!
Comments from the children never stops. Mohammed was begging me today to speak Arabic with him, after having a difficult day with him yesterday. He probabely thinks I'm his friend, or I'm gonna treat him "different" than the others coz we're locals. No honey, thats not gonna happen! I hated him the first day. Today, I saw the clever mind in him.
I also had to do those mini-interviews with the kiddos. They had to talk about their mommies! Once they sat on the couch, they started moving around and they lost their loud voices lol But they made cute comments like:
"I love my mom. She washes her hair everyday."
"I love my mom. She takes me to Sahara Center."
"I love my mom. She always tell s me how proud she is of me."
That was sweet.I guess I'll be having tons of stories to share everyday I spend at my circus. Yes, it is tiring. However, every second I spend over there is a learning experience. I should always remind myself of that.