A World Like Never-Never Land

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

WEEK TWO & THREE

Its almost week three of my internship. Honestly, it feels much more than that, but its amazing how time passes by that fast. Seven to go!

I guess i made a progress the past couple of weeks. The children finally started to refer to me as "Ms." instead of "HEY" or nameless. They realized that I'm not a friend or a temporary visitor. They KNOW by now that I'm the teacher.

--> Mohammed *ofcourse*. This boy amazes me with his weird atittude. He always tries to impress me. Yet, he considers every comment, look, or smile from me a challanging one. He constantly says out loud that he doesn't love me, and I'm not a "princess". On the other hand, he tells me stories about his family, loves my stories, and made me a birthday cake made up of playdough today...with candles! It seems that the ignoring strategy that I'm using with him is working out. I think he is in a terrible need of attention. He has a great sense of ego. He's used to that at home, and I can not blame him.

Morning sessions. I've done a number of these, and I am getting so much better! The only problem Im facing right now is with asking questions. I DO ask questions, but I end up answering the questions before the kids do! And I always forget NOT to do that.

Reading stories. I LUV THIS PART coz I'm so good at it *e7im*. I so enjoy looking at their faces that are DEEPLY into the story. I enjoy changing my voice, and making facial expresions. It makes me live the story instead of just reading the words. AND it makes the children live it with me!

"Today you look like a happy person." Interesting comment coz I wasn't, until I started teaching my first morning session, independently. Rabaa was there to observe me, but I wasn't really worried about her. I just thought ITS TIME for me to make it perfect. I couldn't stand any kind of flaw. I wanted it to be flawless! Aida luved it, as well as Rabaa. Even the story..Aida made such a wonderful comment about it. She thinks that the way I read the story makes her feel like she's in a different world. It doesn't seem like a person is actually "telling" the story. Its like she's living the story itself.
Thats what I enjoy about reading.

7:00 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. Such a long day. I had to stay in school to finish up the Height Chart that I'm preparing for my children. I really went through a hard time to produce such a nice piece of Art! I was busy with calculators, numbers, rulers, centimeters, millimeters, pencils and markers. I wanted it to look PERFECT. Each line drawn nicely and straight. Each line is exactly 5 cm away from the other line. Each name was 5 cm above the line. Every child's height should be precisely drawn, resembling his/her real height.

Aida gave me a big hug! I guess it was exactly what she had in mind. Ahh, Its amazing how very simple things really matter in teaching. But i still think something is wrong with this chart. I noticed a flaw. I have to fix it tomorrow morning.

Teaching makes me feel alive--Torey Hayden

It does make me feel alive. It makes me appreciate the little things in life much more. It makes me feel happy about myself. It certainly makes me feel different. I love teaching.